Re: Lucas and "the reputation"

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas and "the reputation"
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:44:01 -0400
At 05:43 PM 7/1/03 -0700, Peter van der Linden wrote:
>I am writing a story for my local car club magazine, and I would really
>like to get some feedback/ideas on my topic from fellow sufferers.  The
>subject of the article is "Lucas Electrics".

FWIW my 1st car was a 67 Spit - bought new in 67.  The only problem I had
with it was the inertial starter would get dirty, and the bendix would not
slide out and engage.  An anoyance but not a real problem.

I bought my Morgan in 69 and never had a problem with the electics on it.
Altough like others have said Lucas seemed to try and pull too much through
their switches.  But then again many of the American car have the same
problem.  AMC and others have a tendency to burn up heater control switches
for the same reasons - too much current.

Our 48 TR 1800 hasn't had any problems.

As to the generators, most were undersized for the loads.  That's why people
had so much problems with them.  But I can't say as I've ever really had
any problems with them.

I do think that the British cars could have benifitted from the use of more
fuses and relays.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned - didn't the Brits/Lucas convert to 12Vs
long before the US did?

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org