Re: Light flywheels and pressure plates

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Light flywheels and pressure plates
From: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:11:27 -0400
At 11:39 AM 10/1/2003, Larry Colen wrote:
>The next gofast part that I plan to purchase for Jasmine (Supercharged
>MGBGT) is a light flywheel.  What are your personal experiences with
>lighter flywheels?

Larry -

I've not had a lightened flywheel on the street, just on my race Bugeye.
Lightening the flywheel makes the engine more responsive - able to change
revs faster as there is less mass to accelerate or decelerate.

The cost would be some loss in smoothness which the flywheel would help
balance out. Having a balanced engine would help counter this.

On the other side of the fence, my '34 MG has the original heavy flywheel,
along with a later balanced (heavier) crank. The combination makes for way
too much rotating mass for the poor little 847cc - When up-shifting, I have
to wait quite a while for the revs to come down before I can select the
next gear. (double clutch / crash box). One of these days I'll do some
engine work and lighten that ole flywheel a bunch!

Roger