RE: Headers for '78 Caliornia Spitfire?

To: "British-cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Headers for '78 Caliornia Spitfire?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:09:18 -0800
> So let me see if I have this right; even if my car passed a test it would
> fail  if the CARB didn't approve all the parts on the car, and if the car
> has all the parts approved by the CARB it still has to pass a test?

Again close ... except that the test _should_ include verifying the CARB
exemption for any installed aftermarket parts.

>  ( You guys have come a long way from inventing the Hot Rod )

I lean towards Libertarian myself ... but in this case it actually makes
some sense.  Car makers go through a great deal more detailed smog tests
than are administered during the biannual inspection ... in effect the
inspection is just to see that things are working as originally designed,
not to verify the original design.  To get a CARB exemption for an
aftermarket part, the part maker has to show that it will not adversely
affect the original design, so that the above relationship is still true.
But, the inspection is still required to be sure things are working as
designed.

To put it another way, the state does not trust us to keep our cars tuned
up.  The biannual smog inspection is just to force you to get a tune-up ...

Randall