Re: differential oil seal MGB

To: rfl <rfl@yerkes.uchicago.edu>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: differential oil seal MGB
From: "Jim S." <aztvr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:47:01 -0800 (PST)
== british-cars at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

It sounds as if you have just gotten the soft bits of
the seal out, and not the thin steel outer ring of it.
 This part can be difficult to get out because it is
thin and is pressed tightly in.  The new seal should
be tapped in carefully with the flat side facing
forward until it is flush with the front of the diff.
) I use a big washer so that I am not tapping direcly
on the seal, and use a big socket to tap on to
equalize the pressure around the seal.  Don't forget
to put a small film of grease on the flange surface
where the seal touches before installation.  If the
flange surface is not smooth anymore, you may end up
with a leak. some people try to adjust how deep they
install the seal so that it touches fresh smooth
metal, or, some just use a speedo-sleeve to get a new
sealing surface.  Sorry, I haven't done this job on an
MG recently, but just did a TR.  My recollection is
that they are the same.

--- rfl <rfl@yerkes.uchicago.edu> wrote:

 I have a 65 MGB with the banjo axle. I need to
replace the pinion oil
 seal.
I've pulled the flange off and managed to extract
 pieces of the
 previous seal.
 There is still
what might
 be more remains of the seal that appears to be
pressed into the
differential. It also appears to be metal. It's right
at the end
of the
 differential that the
flange would fit to.
 The flange and what I take to be the dust cover came
 off together.

 So the question is do I need to extract that pressed
 ring of metal
and replace
it with the new seal? If so, does the seal get
pressed just inside
the tube and
no farther?