Re: [British-cars] (no subject)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [British-cars] (no subject)
From: John McEwen <moparrr@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:00:19 -0600
Hello everyone:

I thought I'd weigh in here with a comment or two, having read
today's posts only on the subject.  This may sound a bit
sanctimonious, but you'll have to deal with that aspect of it.  I
believe that we must all accept these principles if we want to keep
our old cars and their old drivers on the road.

A good driver:

1.  takes pride in obeying all of the laws, including speed limits,
not just those which he deems appropriate or suitable.
2.  does not 'forget' to do those things, such as signalling turns,
which are as automatic to good driving as breathing air without
telling the muscles of the body to move.  He is alert and aware of
the traffic picture around him at all times.
3.  constantly practises his skills in all aspects of driving from
taking curves correctly to stopping at stop signs.
4.  is a defensive driver who assumes that those around him have a
lesser level of ability and knowledge.  He has confidence in his
skills, is secure in his knowledge, and maintains a healthy paranoia.
5.  maintains complete control over his automobile at all times and
is not distracted by cellphones, passengers, food and drink or any of
the other new ways which manufacturers have provided to take his
attention from the principal task.
6.  saves his high performance antics for the track.
7.  shows courtesy at all times to other drivers.
8.  knows the rules, both written and un-written, for safe use of the
streets and highways.
9.  ensures that his vehicle is visible and makes certain that others
can see and understand his intentions.
10.  ensures that his vehicle is safe to drive and that all safety
components are working.  In the case of very old vehicles without
signal lights, decent headlights, side reflectors, seat belts,
windshield wipers, etc., he installs them and accepts that they are a
fair compromise to originality.  If he cannot accept improved
lighting, he avoids night driving.

That's my take on it.  As I age, as all of us are doing at what must
seem to be an ever-accelerating rate, I try to drive better than I
ever have.  I want to keep on driving my old cars until I can no
longer get into them or am too feeble to push the brake pedal.  I
don't want some judge or government authority take away my license
because I've committed some stupid offence.

Finally, I'm pleased to see that most US states have now adopted
daytime running lights.  Here in Canada, where this has been law for
20 years, it has been a big boost to safe driving.  When I visit
those states without this requirement, I'm amazed at how much more
difficult safe driving can be.  When I'm in one of my old cars which
does not have this feature, I turn on my headlights.  If it is a car
I use often, I install some kind of small bright lights which work
with the ignition.  Better to be seen than wrecked.

John