F1 on US Cable TV

To: "Lotus List" <lotus-cars@lists.best.com>
Subject: F1 on US Cable TV
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:35:41 -0600

There's hope for F1 TV coverage in the US after all:

Speedvision has announced their exclusive contract for LIVE F1
broadcasts in the US.  They are rapidly contacting cable services to
make Speedvision available to them in every part of America.  there
is a free phone # 1 888 22 SPEED which will connect you directly to
your OWN local cable company allowing you to urge Speedvision access.
 On the Speedvision site,   http://www.speedvision.com    there is
also a form which can be filled out in order to help Speedvision
"sell" their service.   I printed out their schedule just for TODAY,
Mar 12, and there are 10 or 12 shows I'd watch given the time:  Indy
'63, The Formula 1 Saga, Legend of Motorsport 1953, Juan Fangio,
Sebring GT series,  Legends of BRG 1961,
Spa 82, etc.

Secondly, Fox Sports has announced a multiyear contract with
Speedvision which will allow them to broadcast all F1 events either
live or same-day tape-delay.  They have detailed their deal and
printed a schedule on their site:   http://foxsports.com

Next Monday's Autoweek magazine confirms both deals and mentions that
the subscriber base for ESPN2 is 56.1 million compared to
Speedvision's 14.1 million.  No word on the Fox subscriber base.

Tony