Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)

To: mikec@dial.drakken.com
Subject: Re: The best Lotus (Was: Re: M100's Quote from SCI)
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:57:43 EDT
In a message dated 10/13/99 6:38:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
mikec@dial.drakken.com writes:

<< Hmmm, you forget the S3.   Considered the best Elan by many many people
 here. >>
Maybe I can start the second round of the Tony wars with the S3 fans.  (Just
kidding Tony.)
The S3 has those ugly side-window frames. The S4 and Sprint have the same
window frames (which ruin the lines of the car) but they also have slight
wheel well flares,  permitting the use of wider and more modern rubber.  Hate
to say it, but the S3 is, IMO, the worst of the Elans because of the
window/body combination.  Why do people in the UK consider it the best?

The 19 won the Daytona Continental, plus other major events on both sides of
the pond.  I can't recall any overall wins in unlimited racing for the
Eleven, although it did win the Biennial Cup and the Indexes of Performance
and Thermal Efficiency at LeMans.  There were less than a score of 19s built,
100+ 23s and 200+ Elevens.  The 19 had an impact way beyond its numbers, but
I would still pick the 23.