Pinging only when warm

To: "Roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pinging only when warm
From: snyler <snyler@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 99 18:37:04 -0600
     My 70 1600 is tuned and carbs balanced, but it ain't perfect. On a
trip out to the grocery store (7 mi) the car runs beautifully,but on the
trip back I notice some pinging on hills. Idle speed also changes from
just under 1k rpm when cool to about 1500 when well warmed up. Is this a
vacuum thing? do I have a crack opening up (or closing) as the engine
reaches operating temperature?
     I retareded the timing a bit more and with octane boost the ping is
gone, but the idle change still happens.
     Still, it's running well enough to meet up with folks interested in
a Hill Country run :)

Marc Tyler
1970 1600
Boerne TX (Actually Sisterdale TX)