U20 crank regrind

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U20 crank regrind
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 01:05:55 -0800
After procrastinating I completed the teardown of my U20. I opened the
lower end of my U20 and found out the #3 rod journal bearing is gone.
Completely gone! Can someone give me an idea of what it's going to cost to
get the crankshaft reground? From reading a couple of books, I understand
that if one journal needs to be reground, then all do and I'll have to get
undersize bearings to match. One of the mains got metal bits in it and
scraped up so the main journals also need the treatment.

Am I better off looking for a reconditioned crankshaft? Would that be
cheaper? From looking at the existing bearings, they're all stamped
standard so they haven't been reground before. Also, piston rod #3 needs
help. Do rods get replaced or can they be salvaged?

Thanks, Fred - So.SF