Timing Chain/Overheating

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing Chain/Overheating
From: "NATHAN J RUFFCORN" <NRUFFCORN@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:44:18 -0600

Hey all,
I'm new to the list but have really enjoyed the tech info.  I'm just
starting the rebuilding of my 69 2000.  When pulling apart the motor for
complete rebuild, I found a piece of one of the upper chain guards down in
the bottom of the cover resting carefully below the crank gear.  I seem to
remember reading in the Rallye tech insert that one of the guards isn't
necessary.  I don't plan on racing the engine but don't want to dramatically
shorten it's life by not replacing a necessary part.  Has anyone had
experience with this??  My Datsun budget is really slim and I've price the
guards-like most other roadster parts they are seem to be priced by the
ounce (not a slam, just a fact of life!!).  It appears the head had been
shaved in the past (hence the floppy chain and broken guards).  I am
planning on using a copper head gasket and shims to bring the cam geometry
back into proper alignment-any insight??

Also a thread came across last week about overheating-is this a real threat?
If anyone has had any experience (good or bad) with oil coolers or electric
fans, please let me know.   ANY insight is appreciated.  More questions are
sure to come!
Thanks,

Nathan