Re: KA24 16 valve mounting kit

To: rday@cyberramp.net
Subject: Re: KA24 16 valve mounting kit
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:48:06 EST
In a message dated 3/19/99 9:46:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rday@cyberramp.net writes:

<< Interesting. I've been under the impression that there's a lot more go
 fast bits available for the 12 valve than the 16 valve. There were
 several very nice KA-24(12v) 510's at Shasta last year, and I know Bill
 Kenyon's built an SRL using KA-24.

 Be interesting to find out the differences. Could be that the top end
 (head/intake/exhaust) is different, but the lower end is the same. Of
 course, setting up the exhaust and having room for intake plumbing are a
 big part of any swap. >>

It's true that there used to be more parts available for the SOHC KA24E,
because that engine was used in both the 240s and the trucks. But as more
people are getting into the later 240s, more companies are developing
aftermarket goodies for the DE engine. When I mentioned the high-hp numbers, I
was referring to turbocharged KAs. Large japanese companies such as greddy and
hks are also now developing bolt-on turbo kits for these engines. And the
~700hp one I mentioned is being built up by this shop here in the bay area.
They're basically replacing every single part they can think of with a much
stronger forged alloy component. Yum.

BTW, if I remember correctly, the bottom ends are similar, but there are
little differences that will prevent you from just bolting on the DOHC
head...one of which is the valve reliefs in the piston. For more info (and to
possibly look for a KA24DE for sale...I've had opportunities to buy complete
drivetrains for about 600-800) check out http://www.240sx.org

Van