Brakes

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Brakes
From: David & Candy Pina <casalp@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 07:36:16 -0800
Hi fellow roadster rats,
I am in the process of replacing the front brake cylinders on my 2 litre.  In
comparision to most pictures in Clymers hand book and service manuel, my
cylinders are set up differently.  I only have one cross over tube, the tube
that
goes from the inner cylinder to the outer, top to bottom, and mine has a
bleeder
valve at the little junction block at the bottom of the inner cylinder, where
the
rubber brake line connects, as well as at the top of the outer cylinder.  In
most of
the pictures in the manuel, the rubber hose connects to a block on the backing
or
dust plate, which my car doesn't have, to the top of the inner cylinder.  My
car
was a race car from very early on, so I don't doubt  there have been changes
from
stock configurations.  My problem is that I can't get the blocks, valves,
hoses,
lines to match up.  What are the differences between the outer, and inner
cylinders?  Can I interchange them?  I've noticed that the "ports"where the
coss
over tube connect are rounded at the bottom, and the bottom  port of the
inside
cylinder has a little tube in the bottom of it.  I haven't looked at the old
cylinders
"ports" yet as this realization came to me late last night  after having a
very
frustating afternoon in the garage. Can I remove that "little tube" in the
bottom of
the ports and how?  Or is it possile that my old inner cylinders are not the
roadster
parts, but another type of Datsun?Gordon Glasgow, you crewed for a roadster
race team, any insights or anyone else?   Also, does Ferodo still exist, and
do they
still make the DS 11 pads? I had to break the old pads to get them out of the
calipers. I am hoping to vintage race this car this year, and to autocross it
with my
sixteen year old son. Anyone know of a good performance pad?
Thanks for any info
David Piņa SRL311 00701