Re: The old G motor ain't what she used to be

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: The old G motor ain't what she used to be
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:46:47 -0700
Hi Leigh,

Awfully sorry to hear she's ailing, although you're lucky it didn't happen
during your LA/SF runs. CalSpeed, Todd and I got caught in that
bumper-to-bumper traffic on the uphill bridge approach. Miserable! You're
going to want to drop the oil pan so you can check the bearings. A lot
easier to inspect with the engine out of the car, but then you'll need an
engine stand to make the job easier. You can go ahead and remove the intake
and exhaust manifolds. But if you pull the head, you'll need to remount it
if you want to yank the engine later on (no big deal).

What I'd do, is drain the oil (what's left of it), and check for metal
particles. On my blown U20, I swept the oil with a magnet and found lots of
metal. Then I opened up the oil filter and found more. So I knew I had bearing
damage. That was confirmed when I found the piston rod had slack in it, and that
bearing was completely gone. The metal particles damaged the other bearings. So
do check the bottom end!

Maybe you can find a engine transplant candidate while you're rebuilding the
1500.

Fred - So.SF