U20 teardown pics...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: U20 teardown pics...
From: Ken Pearce <kpearce@madison.engr.ukans.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:51:59 -0500 (CDT)
(Sorry if this went out twice, I'm having trouble reaching the list...)

Well I'm getting my '68 U20 torn down and thought I'd share some pics for
the curious and ask some questions of the experts.

1.)  Does "STD" stamped on the top of the piston indicate I still have
     stock size pistons?

2.)  Does the serial number stamp on the block look "doctored"?  My
     frame is stamped 04523, the block has 05781 and as I recall,
     neither of which would be a valid '68-2000 serial number.  I
     don't really care, the car is a driver, not a concourse
     specimen, but it would be nice to unravel the mystery.

3.)  There is brass (I think) riser/sleeve of some sort where one of
     the head bolts goes into the block.  What purpose is it serving?

For all the thumbnails (click to see full picture), see:

Thumbnails
http://www.engr.ukans.edu/~kpearce/datsun/engine/Thumb/Thumbs1.htm

For those without bandwidth to burn, here are direct links...

gouge in piston #1
http://www.engr.ukans.edu/~kpearce/datsun/engine/ITEM5.htm

std piston stamping
http://www.engr.ukans.edu/~kpearce/datsun/engine/ITEM7.htm