The Update (long)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Update (long)
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:53:17 -0700
Mike's message below reminded me that I hadn't told you all the news! Maybe,
it's bad luck to count my chickens before they hatch, but, I found a
transmission!

So many folks responded to my plea for help, and I'd like to thank you all.
This was a world-wide search and help came from the four corners of the
globe. It's been said before that "Datsun People are the BEST",  well this
has been proven again.

So you may think it hard finding roadster parts, HA! Just try and find 35
year old truck parts! Then anyone who does not now appreciate have our
roadster vendors, would learn to. I called junk yards, Datsun specialty
houses, anybody, But when I told them I was looking for a "65" L-320 Hitachi
floor shift 4 speed for an "E" or "J"  series engine, their response was
"Uh?" "What?"

When I called called one junkyard outside Phoenix advertised as the largest
Datsun Nissan Yard Ever, he said "Old Datsuns? don't keep anything under
1980!" "You should call Hidden Valley Auto." I called this "Hidden Valley"
and like Shang-gra-la, it was paradise for old Datsuns. "Butch" answered the
phone and then my question with "yep, got three". Now, after all I'd been
through, I just about jumped four feet! For 350 including shipping he's
sending me a tranny from a 65 WPL-410 wagon that he "feels real good about".
JUST WHAT I WANTED. YEA!

It was really refreshing talking to Butch. He's really up on Datsuns and
proud of his stock. PL-410's, PL-411's RL-411's L-520's and 521's. He even
had a couple of PL-312's

Well, even though this road isn't over, I got to tell you, It's been an
adventure so far. I've met some new folks. The NWDE people are great. Tana
Bryan, of that group was very helpfull. She's got lots of parts and a great
attatude!

ROADSTER CONTENT! My head's comming back from Mark de Groff's shop Friday
with his stamp of approval. He said it was in pretty good shape and just
needed a little fill weld around the rear water jacket port and very minor
surfacing. While I was waiting, I polished the "F" out of an intake
manifold. It will most likely look silly. Gray carbs sitting on a mirror
bright manifold. with all the new, clean parts and the headers, that side of
the engine will look way different than before all this! I hope soon cause
I'm starting to shake from RSS (roadster separation syndrome)!

Victor
Los Angeles