Re: Pads

To: "Daniel" <daniel@seaport.net>
Subject: Re: Pads
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:32:43 PST8PDT
Daniel writes:
> Before my most recent incident and now more so after, I am looking to
> upgrade my front brake pads.  I have heard that Repco made a Delux and a
> Metal Master, though they have changed names?

Let the flame-fest begin (please, don't!)

Daniel, tightening the bolts will prove to be the most important
performance enhancement :-)  :-)  :-)

MY PERSONAL OPINION follows - I do NOT auto-cross (heck, my
only running one is a 1600 with ancient street tires) or do 'performance'
driving.

If you have solid hydraulics, good rotors and drums, and everything is
adjusted well, these cars CAN stop. If you swap to semi-metallic pads,
you'll generate a lot more heat and, IN MY OPINION, may overheat the
rotors and wheel bearings. Please be sure that the 'cure' doesn't cause
more problems than you started with.

By the way, our Roadster front brakes can also be found on Jaguars
and Studebakers - cars weighing twice as much.

-- John