Roadster Rust Prevention

To: "matt w Monday" <matt_monday@juno.com>
Subject: Roadster Rust Prevention
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:38:01 -0700
--------------------
Matt Asked:
I was wondering if it is unusual or bad to drive a roadster (daily) in the
rain.
--------------------
Matt,

Keep on roadstering. Our cars drive wonderfully on wet surfaces as long as
we've got good rubber on the road. The worst hazard to driving wet is by far
the other drivers! keep your roadster clean in a few spots will cut down on
the corrosion hazards allot. If you take a front wheel off, take a look and
reach towards the rear of the fender well. Chances are that area is holding
a lot of trash (mostly sand). When that stuff gets wet its bye bye metal!
Clean it up and protect it. I used spray undercoat I bought from Pep Boys
and built up layers on layers. Inspect your rear wells and you'll find two
more traps both fore and aft.

And in the future, when performing any maintenance, keep your eyes tuned for
bare metal. Road hazards will chip the coatings off the fender wells, frame
etc. I bought a rust preventive paint (POR-15 and lots of foam brushes) and
hit these spots when I find them.

I'm forwading this to the list cause I'm sure there will be 1,000 more ideas
other than mine!

If you use that POR-15, keep it off your skin! It stains you immediately and
deeply! The only way to remove it is to wait for the skin sluff off.