Re: Gear Oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear Oil
From: KWS711@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:06:05 EDT
Check out:
http://www.brigadoon.com/~jstromgren/roadster.org/tips/wheelbearings.html

Make sure you get the correct seals. My manual showed a standard seal, the
ones
on the car were moulded into a flange which the backing plate bolts go thru.
I suggest disassembly before buying parts. Nissan did not have these. CDM did.

One thing to watch for, per Les at CDM, are the small holes in the axle
housing flange. There is a hole in the seal housing which matches up to one
in the backing plate and axle housing. This is for drainage of rear end oil
if the inner seal fails. That way it doesn't end up on the brake shoes. In my
axle there are three of these small holes. The seal housing and backing plate
holes need to line up to the bottom (lowest) hole on the axle. Make sure
these holes are not plugged up (mine had some sort of silicone in them).

Good Luck!

Kim

68 2000