Re: headlight help

To: SROSS@ex-pressnet.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: headlight help
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 00 21:11:04 CST
Ross,

Welcome back to the world of the roadster!

> I have a '69 2000 that I recently got back on the road after 17 years of
> "hibernation" in my father-in-laws garage.

In addition to changing engine oil and antifreeze, change all other
fluids.  Steering box (check it is full), transmission and rear
end (Castrol 85W/90 or synthetic). Brake & Clutch Fluid - flush all
they way out. (Castrol GT/LMA Brake Fluid).

> Last weekend I noticed the right headlight was dim. When I switched
> headlights the right side was still dim, (also still dim with a new
> headlight) voltmeter readings on the plugs for both headlights were the
> same. What am I missing?

Fun stuff! On the 1969 & 1970 roadsters the headlights are wired right
and left! Separate fuses are used.

Problem with a voltmeter is they do not put a load on the electrical
system. I have all sorts of test equipment, but my favorite electrical
trouble shooting tool is just a plain dual filament tail light bulb.
One wire soldered to the two contacts, other to the body of the light.
Draws enough current to load a circuit down.

So with dirty contacts, corroded fuses, etc. you get a resistance in the
contact.

First place to start is by removing each fuse, cleaning the contacts
with a little emery paper. Squeeze the fuse contacts together with
your fingers so they hold the fuse tightly.

It is important to track down the reason for the dim light. The resistance
will cause heat. Enough heat can result in a wiring harness fire.

Search the archives and you should also find some of my old comments
about adding fusible links (good insurance).

Cheers,

Tom Walter  '68 2000
Austin, TX