RE: 1969 ARRC winner Jack Scoville - web update

To: "Gary McCormick" <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: RE: 1969 ARRC winner Jack Scoville - web update
From: "Gregg Robinson" <greggr@macnet.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:42:00 -0800
Gary and all,

That picture of the battery brought back memories for me. Back in the late
70's I raced a SCCA 510 and a good friend of mine raced 2L (that I got to
race a few times myself - WOW) that had come from Jack's stable. It had the
same type of very small and under powered battery. Yes the point was to get
some weight out, most importantly off the front end as the roadsters can
understeer as has been talked about at length here. There was a rule early
on that required the battery to remain in the stock location. When that rule
changed we put a larger battery in the trunk. This gave better re-start
assurance (the owner had a habit of spinning a stalling every few races....
Sorry Steve... ) and improved the balance of the car.

On another note I spent a few minutes talking with Jack just a few weeks
ago. My father was a fellow Datsun dealer and I wanted to let Jack know that
he (my dad) had passed away a few months ago. The subject quickly turned to
racing... and to make a long story short.. I would not be a bit surprised to
see Jack in a historic race if he finds the right 2L sometime in the future.

Gregg Robinson
McMinnville OR
'70 1600