TECH, starter heat shields

To: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Subject: TECH, starter heat shields
From: Paul.Kort@marconimed.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:31:31 -0500

  Starter heat shields are available at most speed shops, just don't mention
that you need one for a Datsun!  They are available from Summit Racing; my
favorite speed shop because they're are twenty minutes down the road, but they
ship same day to anywhere in the US.
  The other thing to do in a 1600 is to make sure you use a 2000 starter.  Since
they are shorter, you keep the nose bearing away from the headers a bit more.
In a late model roadster, moving the alternator to the passenger side if the
motor can also relieve heat problems.
  Personally, I haven't used a starter heat shield since I had a Nova with a 307
V8.  They melted starters!

Paul
OROC

Please respond to R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>

To:   David & Candy Pina <casalp@earthlink.net>,
      "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>

There is an insulation wrap made for starters that should protect it from the
heat.  Anybody else ever use it?
Bob