Re: repainting the roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: repainting the roadster
From: Don Miller <turbospl311@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 06:46:08 -0800 (PST)
A ggod place to start is to find a local car club
either old cruisers or hot rodders or import racers
and find out who does their work and how much and how
long. I have found that people who take pride in their
cars love to recommend people. Then personality is a
must. I go and talk to the people taking the car with
me. Remember, you get what you pay for in a paint job.

Don Miller
68 Turbo V-6 (fresh $120.00 paint job, I did the body
work)
70 2000 (would need about 18 gallons of Bondo)
Meridian, ID

--- garrett klassen <garrett@idirect.ca> wrote:
> List,
>
> OK, here goes. I'm thinking of repainting the
> roadster this spring. She's
> in pretty good shape, fullly restored (clock works),
> appraised and running
> every summer weekend. But there's a lot of bondo
> from the PO, and rust
> bubbles are starting to form here and there. What
> put me over the top was a
> careless mechanic who opened the door too far (no
> retainers - anybody got
> some?) and took a huge ding of paint out of the door
> down to the bare
> metal.
>
> My question is... umm, should I? What am I in for?
> Budget is never a
> non-issue, but I want it done right. I know prep is
> everything. I'm worried
> that even a reputable shop can do more damage to the
> delicate bits without
> ever thinking, or not meaning to.
>
> Anybody have any advice on how to go about this
> admittedly exploratory
> surgery?
>
> garrett
> 67.5 1600, SPL311-15241