pump my clutch pedal

To: ROADSTER <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: pump my clutch pedal
From: Philip Erickson <philip.erickson@Agouron.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:58:53 -0800
Roman,
Most likely you have air in the clutch hydraulics, but the fact that you
can "pump" my clutch pedal to get pressure  makes me VERY nervous.  The
main difference between a clutch master cylinder and a brake master
cylinder is a one way valve that allows you to "pump" a brake master
cylinder and not a clutch cylinder. This "valve" is part of the piston
assembly, really just a few little holes in the piston, a metal ring and
seal which allows fluid to flow past the piston when you release the
brake pedal.  I have seen people put the piston / seal assemble for a
brake into a clutch master cylinder, if you can "Pump" up the clutch
assembly it is possible to bend the clutch fork or blow the guts out of
the slave cylinder.
Phil

--
Philip Erickson                                  Phone:  (858) 622-7963
Associate Scientist