How is 7600 in 5th and still pulling RE: Opening him up

To: "'Don Miller'" <turbospl311@yahoo.com>,
Subject: How is 7600 in 5th and still pulling RE: Opening him up
From: Howard Fletcher <hgf@netro.com.au>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:37:28 +1100
Don & all,

Most of the road tests of the era showed solex models doing 106mph in 4th
and 124 in 5th in standard trim on a timed run.

With original gearing and tyres so there is definitely a tuning problem if
a solex cant do better in 5th than 4th, however 5th is only faster after
100 mph.

My 7600 rpm was achieved with a cut down screen, 4.625 diff 185/60 14 tires
and 50 mm solexes and several other mods, however the engine is getting
tired and needs a rebuild. (it should have done 8000) work out the speed !!
It was at the end of the straight atv Phillip island victoria (a really
great race circuit.)

Tune and final ratio are major factors in this debate.  Fortunately my wife
loves my race car but not the dollars spent on it.

Regards

Howard