Re: dim headlights

To: Greg.Nelson@merrick.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dim headlights
From: Mark <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:18:52 -0600

Matt Peterson wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a quick question.  Are there a few easy things to look for as to the
> cause of dim headlights?  They are a dim yellow.  I can drive with the
> brights on without worrying about anyone getting annoyed.  Could it be a
> ground or connections?

For any electrical question, the answer to this is always, YES.  It could be
the ground or connections.  Note Ronnie's comments about green moldy stuff and
the ground being switched - check it out!

> Could they just need to be replaced?

Again, yes. Non halogen bulbs (if they survive long enough) will eventually
deposit a good percentage of their filament as a coating on the inside of the
headlight.  This reduces the amount of current flowing (there's less filament
available to carry  the juice) AND reflectorizes the inside of the bulb, so
less light gets out.  The result is a gradual dimming, and yellowing, of the
headlights.

What to do?  Well, headlights are cheap.  Buy or borrow a known good headlight
and see what it does.  If it is bright and clear, replace your headlights.  (A
good time to do a relay installation and move up to halogen, maybe?).  IF it is
just as bad, start checking and cleaning connections!

--
Mark van der Hoek
Houston

     From bondage to spiritual faith