[Fwd: Sorry]

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Fwd: Sorry]
From: jhatfield@cavemen.net (William Hatfield)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:48:11 -0700
--------------19BFE5E55F9A33988324F926

Joyce Hatfield writes:
Here is an update on the Toll charge on email.  So sorry - I should have
read all my email before sending the former message on.

--------------19BFE5E55F9A33988324F926

From: "Eddie & Donna" <hopper@pvtnetworks.net>
To: "Ray & Peggy" <vanderwerker@swconnect.net>,
        "Kevin & Kimberli Roberts" <kevinsplace@webtv.net>,
        "Kenneth & Jan" <kennethandjan@carlsbadnm.com>,
        "William  Hatfield" <jhatfield@cavemen.net>,
        "Donna Hopper" <hopperd@wipp.carlsbad.nm.us>,
        "Carol William" <carolwilliams@cavemen.net>
Subject: Sorry
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 13:33:47 -0700

I am not sure how long you have been on the internet but
maybe chain letter, urban legends or etc. along with a long list of
names occurs in Pennsylvania.  However, they do here and so I am sending
you a few of the websites that are on the list of rumors and hoaxes for
809 is one of the rumored phone scams and so is the e-mail one.  Do not
let no one scare you for some idiot sends them out and it scares people
and they forward them on and consequently, they are just that, rumors
with a whole bunch of names on the list and all it does is take up a lot
of space on someone's hard drive. All those chain letters that say pray
fior so and so and if you don't, you'll have bad luck and so forth are
not to be believed.  I have a whole list I have savedregarding those
urban legends and chain letters but I am just sending you two so you
won't worry about that as it isn't true!  I am also going to send you a
joke or two and I hope these links will help to put your mind at ease.

I don't know what kind of weather you are having now but our nice
weather went by the wayside. It is snowing off and on and will be 28-38
all weekend and here yesterday it was 82.  I guess that is Michigan for
you.  I was kinda hoping we would finally get some nice weather and we
did for a few days but that was all.

Love,
Rea

Sightings, Notes & Updates

 809 Area Code Phone Scam

 08/05/99 - Various alerts are now circulating warning consumers not to
 respond to phone, pager, or email requests to dial a number beginning
with
 the 809 area code to "settle an unpaid account" to "collect a wonderful

 prize," etc. According to the alerts, the area code is in the Caribbean
and
 can be set up as a "pay-per-call" number (like 900 numbers in the
U.S.).
  People who respond to these requests can get stuck with a whopping
 phone bill for an international call.

 This information is basically true. The warnings originated in an
edition of
 Internet ScamBusters, a respectable newsletter that keeps subscribers
 apprised of current frauds and scams. The original article appeared in
 1996, but a recent AT&T publication indicates that the scam is still
active.

 Multiple versions of the alert exist because people can and do alter
such
 texts before sending them on, which means the specific message you
 receive may or may not contain accurate details.

 For that reason, recipients are best advised not to forward warnings
like
 these any further. If you feel compelled to warn your friends of the
 telephone scam, send them the URL of the original article instead:
 http://www.scambusters.org/ScamBusters8.html

 Update: Why was this 1996 alert revived three years later? David
 Spalding ventures a theory in the latest edition of Hoax du Jour.

 Lost in Cyberspace

 08/19/99 - Here's further proof that email chain letters are more than
just a
 nuisance.

 Internet Access Rumor Won't Go Away

 Dateline: 01/20/99  Update: 03/01/99

 Even though it's been debunked by just about everybody, the rumor rages

 on via forwarded email alerts:  the U.S. government, we are told, is on
the
 verge of enacting legislation that will raise our Internet access costs
by
 allowing calls to ISPs to be charged at long-distance (i.e.,
per-minute)
 rates.

 The rumor is false, as I will explain shortly.

 It is nonetheless popular, exemplifying a genre of Internet folklore
dating
 back to the "modem tax" legend of the early '90s. The rumor then was
that
 the FCC was about to approve a surcharge on all phone lines connected
 to computer modems. A grassroots email campaign resulted in a flood of
 protests to the FCC, in spite of the fact that it had no such ruling
under
 consideration.

 In similar fashion, the latest rumor has generated hundreds of
thousands of
 email complaints from "well-meaning but misinformed people" over the
 past two years, says the FCC.

 Much like the issue of computer security, which has given rise to a
body of
 lore including virus hoaxes, hacker alerts, and rumors of privacy
invasion,
 low-cost access is and will likely always be a "hot button" topic among

 Internet users, hence fertile ground for rumormongers. False rumors
often
 paint a true picture of a community's deep-seated fears and concerns.

 Here's a typical email rendering of the current one:

    Date: Tuesday, January 05, 1999 7:50 PM
    Subject: INPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!!

    THIS IS NO JOKE !!!

    CNN stated that the Government would in two weeks
    time decide to allow or not allow a Charge to
    your phone bill equal to a long distance call
    each time you access the internet.

    The address is
    http://www.house.gov/writerep/

    Please visit the address above and fill out the
    necessary form! This is not a joke....but REAL.
    We all were aware that the Government has been
    pressured by the telephone companies to consider
    such a charge and now it's reality.....

    If EACH one of us, forward this message on to
    others in a hurry, we may be able to prevent this
    injustice from happening!

 The irony is that similar messages warning that the government will
make a
 decision "in two weeks" have been circulating since early November,
more
 than two months ago.

 The earliest of these coincides with news reports about a ruling under
 consideration by the FCC (not Congress) pertaining to "reciprocal
 compensation" arrangements between local telephone companies. The
 ruling (still pending at this writing) will decide whether calls to
ISPs should
 be regarded as interstate transactions, since Internet traffic is not,
strictly
 speaking, local. It would only affect the rates phone companies charge
 each other for the use of local lines to complete such calls. (See the
FCC
 Fact Sheet on this issue for a more thorough explanation.)

 In some quarters, including news organizations such as CNN, this was
 misinterpreted as having an impact on the rates phone companies charge
 ISPs, and thus on consumer access fees. As CNN ominously reported on
 November 7, "The cost of going online could go up significantly if the
 Federal Communications Commission decides that dialing your local
 Internet provider is a long-distance call."

 It was an erroneous assumption. FCC chairman William Kennard had
 announced the opposite just the day before: "The FCC has repeatedly
 stated for the past decade - and is stating again today - that it is
NOT
 repealing the ISP exemption that [prevents] Internet service providers
from
 paying per-minute charges to local telephone companies."

 Unfortunately, the rumor was well underway. Even now, in spite of
plenty
 of information to the contrary on this site and elsewhere, people
persist in
 believing the email alerts and continue forwarding them hither and yon
with
 righteous indignation.

 Two days ago, the Arizona Republic reported that Congressman Ed
 Pastor had received no fewer than 85 messages of protest since
 November, the bulk of them during the past two weeks. Pastor's office
 responds to the protests by kindly denying the rumor and handing out
the
 address of the FCC Web page listed above. Other members of Congress
 are doing the same, and likely will be for quite some time to come.

 "Internet misinformation resembles one of those fires that start up in
huge
 piles of tires," observed the author of the Arizona Republic article.
"You
 can knock them back, but never really put them out."

 The FCC can vouch for that. Come to think of it, so can I.

 Update:

      Internet Access Rumor Revisited
      FCC's Feb. 25 ruling does not impose long distance charges on
      consumer access

 For more information, see:

      No Consumer Per-Minute Charges to Access ISPs
      Dec. '98 Fact Sheet from the FCC
      FCC Chairman's Statement
      Nov. 11 speech to Regulatory Commissioners
      FCC Again Says It Won't Tax Internet
      Reuters news coverage, Nov. 7, 1998
      Internet Access Fees (Again?) (NOT!)
      David Spalding's in-depth 'Hoax du Jour' feature