Towing

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Towing
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:05:11 -0800
Hey List,

I am planning to go to Solvang and then onward to visit relatives and see
the wine country. While I am confident that my roadster will make the trip
(1000 miles), I am bringing my girlfriend, and a week's worth of clothing,
some camping equipment... you get the idea.

I am thinking a tow dolly will be sufficient. The tow vehicle is a Chevy
S-10 with a six foot bed, crew cab with a 6 cyl engine. It's a light truck
and weighs about 3500 lbs. Now if I were to use a full auto trailer with a
class three hitch, the math says no more than a 1:1.25 weight ratio from
gross trailer weight to towing vehicle weight. That means that if my datsun
weighs about 2000 lbs and the trailer weighs 2100 pounds, that makes the
gross total 4100 lbs. Now if my tow vehicle weighs 3500 pounds, that means
my tow weight is 600 lbs or about 17% more than the tow vehicle. Within
tolerance, but a little high for my liking.

With a tow dolly, the only requirement is the tow vehicle outweigh the towed
vehicle by 750 lbs. Got that covered.

Anyone have experience with tow dollys and roadsters? Good? Bad? Thoughts?

Andrew Murphy
67.5 2000 Solex
SoCalROC http://www.netcom.com/~andr/socalroc.htm