Aftermarket Steering Wheels

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aftermarket Steering Wheels
From: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:05:41 -0800 (PST)
Hi Folks,

With all this talk about steering wheels I figure I,ll throw in my two
cents.

I've Installed Grant Wheels on two 66 1600s, and here is how I've done
it;

Both wheels were in horrible condition and I couldn't find an adapter.

I took a hacksaw and cut the spokes off just leaving the center.

Then I took off the bolt holding the wheel on and pulled the wheel,

(what was left of it), off of the splined shaft. I then filed, sanded

 the leftover spokes till the hub was smooth and round.

Next, line up the new wheel, and hub onto the roadster hub drill and
tap

the roadster hub. paint, then screw the new wheel onto the roadster hub

line up the new wheel onto the spline , tighten the 1 inch nut and

 you're on your way. Takes about an hour.

The wheel ends up about 2 inches closer to you than the original

 position  may bother some from what I've read on the list, but is real

comfortable for me.

<PO DISCLAIMER> I would never do this to a clean  original wheel.
If you take your time and do a good job it is a very clean installation
and you don't have to search for  an adapter. personally I like the
grant wheels and they are readily available and inexpensive.

Roman Rist
66 and 67.5 1600s
SoCalROC