It is very red (quite long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: It is very red (quite long)
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:24:02 EST
For all:
I shot the car red today, and it turned out well.
I have one or two drips to repair, and some
spots that need more coverage, so I am going
to let the paint cure for a day, repair drips, and
shoot it again.  The two quarts of red I used today
was not quite enough,  I did inside trunk, door sills,
all sides of doors, etc. etc.  My spraying technique
is probably not super conservative of paint either.
For those interested, here is what I used:
primer:  Dupont 80S with Dupont 3608S thinner
            after wet sanding, and spot putty, washed car with
            Dupont Final Kleen
paint:    Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel, national fleet color
            29059A  H, which is a deep dark red.  Cut the paint
            with .5 qt of Dupont 8022S mid temp reducer, and
            added 8oz of catylist/hardener
The most important thing that turned out well on my car, is
spend lots of time with the body work, wet sand, spot
putty, and primer numerous times if required, any
scratch or imperfection you can sense with your
fingertips will be painfully obvious when you shoot
the color on.  I have a few scratches I can still see,
but very few, and you have to know where they are,
all in all, its way better than your typical Earl Schieb
or equivalent.  I don't have a web site, but
reply if you want me to send a pic.
Total cost for paint, primer, thinner etc. etc.
was $144.  Add in several gallons of fiberglass,
some bondo, and about a Jillian hours of labor,
for the whole thing....but it was fun.  Am looking
forward to getting it all done on Sunday, and
putting this thing back together....
One last tip:  the paint chip in the store,
which looked very deep and dark in the
store, looks incredibly red in bright light.
So, all else being equal, go a shade or two
darker than what you think you want.
For you guys in California, and other
volitile substance controlled areas,
you probably cant do this.