Re: Nat'l. Meet

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nat'l. Meet
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:52:52 -0600
>I agree w/Toto, Kansas aint where it's at!
>I suggest Summit Point W VA.  It's close to Washington DC, Chesapeake Bay
>and
>lots of neat tourist stuff the even West Coasters ought to see and
>appreciate.
>Summit Point (two race tracks) is neat and challenging.  It's been a stop on
>One Lap of America, and it was good enough for a National Ferrari meet
>('course I realize that everyone can have a Ferrari - cheap Maserati
>knock-offs - and there's never been a Ferrari made that can outperform a
>Solex 2000 <g>)
>Check out Summit Point at www.bsr-inc.com/bsr

While I agree that the DC area in a nice place to visit (the fact that I
didn't enjoy living there being an entirely different story) and Summit
Point is a great track, I've got to disagree that it would be a good
place for a gathering that's designed to draw folks from all over the
country. It's just too far east for that. We're either going to have
settle for separate West and East Coast gatherings, with a few crazy
people making the cross country trip to the opposite side of the country,
or we need to get behind someone with the organizational and promotional
skills to put together a meet in mid country. Personally I'm game for
either, and in the not too distant future look forward to visiting
Summit, Mid-Ohio, Blackhawk Farms, Road Atlanta and other. But remember
that we're very centrally located here in north Texas. Most folks aren't.

And before you're tempted to say we might be wimping out, please note
that we've driven, admittedly in our Honda (GASP!) van, from Dallas/Ft.
Worth to Shasta the past two years. In '98 it was a 4509 mile trip, last
summer the trip was 5500 miles including a family reunion the following
weekend in San Diego and a slight(!) side trip to Raton, NM, to visit my
folks. In other words, we're crazy enough to go just about anywhere. Even
our Datsun craziness pales beside that last summer of Jeff and Chris
Shoesmith. The drive was a bit much for them so they flew in, from
Sydney, Australia!

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)