Re: 510 rear end, hmmmmmm

To: <HIGHKIX4@aol.com>, "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 510 rear end, hmmmmmm
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 08:50:10 -0500
>For all:
>I was looking for the jack for the 510 under by
>the spare tire (its under the front seat, as
>I found out), but was struck by the amazing
>similarity of the rear axle to the roadster.
>Wonder if the track is the same?  Will the
>gears fit?  Seems like my wagon has a
>very deep ratio (feels like maybe 4.11)
>as it has the hamsters running
>very, very fast at 70mph (no tach, dont
>no how fast).   So,  these 411 or so gears
>would be helpful to the roadster, and the
>roadsters 370s would be helpful to the wagon,
>although making it even slower than it is.
>It this a possible swap?
>(my 67 has a later 2L rear end)

Jim,

If I didn't send you the URL for the Dime Quarterly site, here it is:

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/

Spend some time exploring the Web Links found under Resources in the left
(long) frame. Off the top of my head I think the axle assemblies may be
the same and I'm more certain that the center sections definitely are
interchangeable. There is also of interchangeability with the trucks, but
I think you need to change the side gears because of differences in the
splines on ends of the car axles vs truck axles.

It's really amazing that there's so much organized info about the 510s.
One of these days I'd like to find the time to organize a links list by
category and post it somewhere. 'Course that assumes actually having the
spare time to do it. Yeah, right.

HIH,
Ron

Ronnie Day
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)