Re:

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re:
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 08:56:39 -0700
The key phrase here is "injecting foam into the body". I was referring to Mike
Kerr's
statement regarding injecting foam into the frame (see quoted message below).
Since my '70
2000 is a California car, and therefore has a perfect body  ;^ ) (not to
mention having
been garaged it's entire life), I have not had to do any body work on the car,
so I am not
too familiar with the body spaces where foam could be injected. Part of the
issue here is
the relative stiffness of the frame and the body. The Roadster's frame is a
relatively
stiff structure as it stands, and due to the size and shape of the cavities
would stand to
gain little or no additional structural strength from the foam. The body of the
car, being
fabricated of much lighter gage material, derives much of its stiffness from
its shape,
and from being rigidly attached to the much stronger frame.

Looking at the PDF files of the parts book as a reference to the body
construction, the
only areas I can determine might be candidates are the spaces in the fenders
immediately
fore and aft of the door openings. Filling these areas with foam might reduce
noise a bit,
but I don't see this contributing significantly to body stiffness. Unibody
designs can
benefit from this treatment because their multitude of cavities, forming a
continuos web
throughout the structure, are each made just that little bit more stiff when
filled with
the foam material, and it all adds up. The body structure of the Roadster, as
far as I can
tell, is not of the type that would lend itself to a profitable exercise of this
technique, but this is a point on which I would be more than happy to be proved
wrong.

As for cowl shake and Miatas, the cowl on the Roadster shakes because it has a
four-cylinder engine and the hood mounts and latch are not only not close
tolerance
interfaces to begin with, on most of our cars they are 30+ years old;  the
Miata has a
tighter chassis because it's design is standing on the shoulders of the work
done in the
period between the Roadster's time and now. Modern cars are stiffer, lighter
and vastly
improved in the area of chassis and suspension design because engineers have
been
learning  how to improve these structures, computer-aided design systems have
greatly
increased their ability to put that experience into practice and because
materials
engineers have developed improved materials and processes for fabricating these
structures.

Gary McCormick
'70 2000 (with gradually increasing amount of clear space around it in the
garage - woo
hoo!)
San José, CA