Re: More Starter Questions

To: Thomas Walter <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Subject: Re: More Starter Questions
From: Guy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:53:16 -0700
Thomas Walter wrote:

> Laura,
>
> When the car will not start... do you hear any "CLICK"
> sounds, or is a matter of just the starter turning very
> slowly?
>
> TWO ITEMS:
>
> FIRST:
> The solenoid needs a good inrush of current to pull
> back the internal plunger. This plunger has two functions.
> One is to engage the starter gear to the flywheel, second
> is to close the large contacts on the solenoid, providing
> power to the starter.
>
> If the solenoid gets too hot, the resistance of the coil
> will increase. Less current flowing through the solenoid,
> less ability to pull in the internal plunger.
>
> Quite often with age the harness and starter switch will
> have higher resistance, leading to a voltage drop. The
> voltage drop in the harness and switch contacts mean less
> voltage to the starter solenoid. This will also drop the
> current of the starter solenoid.
>
> Some times just cleaning up all the spade connectors
> with a little emery paper, and cleaning everything will
> solve the problem.
>
> SIMPLE FIX:  Add a relay to the starter circuit. The relay
> will be closed by the ignition switches "start" function.
> It takes a lot less current to close the relay than operate
> the solenoid.  The power source for the relay then comes
> directly from the battery through a fusible link. Other
> side of the contact goes to the starter solenoid spade connector.
> VIOLA: A good solid 12 volts direct to the starter solenoid.
>
> Use a GOOD QUALITY RELAY: Bosch, Hella, Siemens all come to
> mind (USA & GERMAN built). You should get a 30A relay.
>
> SECOND:
> Starter is getting overheated. A simple shield on the
> header to block radiated heat will help. The shield can
> be made from an old cookie sheet, and attached to the
> header by a couple of hose clamps.
>
> Also do not over look the routing of the starter cable,
> battery connections, starter connection. All should be
> clean and in good condition.
>
> A quick ROAD TRIP solution is to hose down the starter
> with water. Yep, just use running water to run over the
> starter to cool it down. I had to do this with an older
> V8 Chevy Van that would "cook" the starter on road trips.
> That or go for an hours lunch. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom Walter
> Austin, TX

Hi Tom,
As always, great information.  Thank you.  A question...I have a 67.5
1600.  I have a very nice set of stainless steel headers.  I am in the
middle of a frame off so I purchased the short starter from the 2000.  I
am told this will help to minimize cooking my starter.  I also purchased
a package of exhaoust insulating wrap (made by Cool It Thermo-Tec).  One
of my neighbors and a fellow car rebuilding buddy has suggested that I
wrap the header with this insulating wrap.  What do you think?  Will
this help my starter and roast something else?  Will it damage my snazzy
headers?  Any thoughts suggestions will be appriciated.

Guy
Tempe, AZ