Re: Cold start rattle?

To: Ken Pearce <kpearce@engr.ukans.edu>,
Subject: Re: Cold start rattle?
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:30:29 PST8PDT
Ken asks:
> ... The engine still makes a short ratttle noise when it first fires up now
> for about a second.  It's only when I first start it in the morning.
> My timing chain and all components are new.

Hmmm, sure sounds like the death-rattle :-(

Was the head milled? When the head is milled by very much, the cam
towers need to be shimmed (cutting the head reduces the distance between
the gears, hence a loose chain. The shims add that distance back). You may
get away with shimming the upper tensioner a bit, to reduce that initial
slack.

Pop the valve cover, put the car in gear, and push it backwards. Then you
can actually see how much slack is in the chain.

Daniel asks:
> How long can I go with this before I should change it. I am not going
> to be able to have time/money to change out the chains the right way
> till later this summer....

The damage is during that initial rattle as the chain grinds against the
guide, so shimming the tensioner will at least not hurt. Just be sure to
leave a bit of free play!

-- John