Re: More alternator information

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, <9laser3@bright.net>
Subject: Re: More alternator information
From: "Damian Hall" <HALLJD@pictou.nscc.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:48:26 -0300
For the Delco with the old-style 2 wire flat plug."SI" series

Terminal 2 is Battery +

Terminal 1 is for the 'Charge warning' lamp and is hooked in series with the
ignition switch. Voltage present when key is on. This helps to initiate the
charging output

Hence- key on, engine off> light is lit

           key on, engine running, alternator output at one side, the same
battery voltage at the other side of the bulb causes it to go out, indicating
that something is happening inside the alternator. ( electrical devices only
work when there is a difference in 'electrical potential' from one side to the
other)

With the key on, engine off test, the bulb gets it's ground through the brushes
and the field coil (in the alternator rotor) through the regulator and to the
alternator body.

If the light doesn't light when key on, engine off, then this indicates a
wiring or connection problem (or a bad bulb)

If it comes on while the vehicle is running, then this indicates a lack of
charging (for many different reasons)

Hope this helps

Damian Hall
69 2000
Stellarton   Nova Scotia

>>> "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net> 06/13/00 08:34AM >>>
  With the installation of my NAPA Rayloc remanufactured Delco Remy 2A25, 12
volt, 45 amp alternator ( and I only repeat the numbers because I keep
getting asked) I needed to purchase a small two wire plug connector.  I have
been discussing why my application was a two wire Vs.  one wire set up.
truth is I don't know BUT, I did finally find the box that the connector
came in.  The part number is NAPA Echlin #VRC148, "Voltage Regulator
Connector".  My guess is that I need that extra wire because I don't have a
regulator in the car anymore?

  Still looking for answers!

Paul
OROC