Re: Thunderhill LONG but fun

To: "Les/Dennis @ CDM" <les@classicdatsun.com>
Subject: Re: Thunderhill LONG but fun
From: David & Candy Pina <casalp@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:45:17 -0700
Whew, what a relief! I was afraid I'd have to.....   err...  stomp you
SoCal guys. Fastest roadster? Rumor has it Don Miller and his VG30DET
roadster will be at Thunderhill. I would have to settle for 2nd fastest
at best. Sorry to hear that neither Dennis nor Calspeed will be making
it.  I was really looking forward to some time and track time with you
guys. I was looking forward to showing you SRL701. I won't be able to
make the rest of the events, I had to hornswaggle my way into getting
Wednesday and Thursday off, practically give my first born ( There's an
idea Michael?).  My second born, Daniel, will be running his first track
event at Thunderhill.  A fun aside story.  In July 16,1978, I was
running in second place behind the Datsun 2000 of Dan Alston( yes
related to the guy of ALSTON ENGINEERING) at Laguna Seca.  This was back
before the infield section of the track was added. I was setting up to
pass Dan at the fastest part of the track, I noticed he touched his
brakes going into turn 4, I ran that flat out and carried more speed up
the hill. I dropped back a little, got my speed up and just as he
touched his brakes and started drifting to the outside, I caught him,
moved to the inside to pass, and noticed an oil on track flag being
displayed. About this time I started to spin counterclockwise.  My wife,
in the pits and eight 1/2 months  pregnant, saw the attempted pass and
spin and then lots of dust as I spun off track. She began to experience
stomach pains.  Later that night, about 1:00 am she woke me up and told
me about her stomach pains.  Sensitive guy I was, I told her to "Be
quiet," ..ahem..., " and go back to sleep". Well, she woke me again  at
3:00 am and said the pains were coming every minute. Off to the hospital
we went. Twelve hours later, my daughter, Erin was born.
David Pina