Wheels/spacers

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheels/spacers
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:37:35 -0500
Hey list

On wheels and spacers.  I have been told never to run long studs with
spacers.  Too much flex on the long stud and eventually Kaboom - the root of
a thread makes a great stress riser.   I plan on using adapters so the donor
wheels bolt pattern is not a problem if different - as long as it is 4 lug.

Wear on bearings.  The way I see it, it does not matter where the web of the
wheel is as long as the center of the contact patch of the tire does not
change relative to the bearings - same effective off set.  Another way: as
the car sits, the load path will always be through the center of the tire -
just make sure that it is not changed relative to the car.  If you move the
tire way out, or in, from the original design then bearing wear is a problem
- like putting a rear drive wheel on a front driver.  Does this make sense
or am I all wet.

Happy Roadstering
Phil
SEROC
Alabama and raining the last couple of days and I could use a good romp in
the Roadster.