Re: Electical station

To: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Electical station
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:53:50 -0500
I am looking at redoing the harness on my 67.5.  I am also planning on replacing
all the relays (headlight and horn flasher and emergency flasher) and adding
more for
starter, accessories, fog,
starter, accessories, fog, headlight off with key off, and ignition ballast
bypass.
I plan on setting up about 10 fuses too.  I had not planned on the distribution
buss
bar though.  I plan on relocating the relays and fuses from under the hood to
under the
dash so they will be less likely to get wet.  So far I have located sockets for
the
relays that have tongues and grooves on them to gang them.  They are for the
small cube
relays that Bosch sells for about $5.  As for the fuse block, I haven't decided
on one
particular unit yet.  I want something that uses the newer ATC type fuses.  I
am spending
time in junk yards looking for something that fits my need that is easy to
connect to and
that doesn't cost a fortune.  I found some combination fuse and relay boxes on
the
net intended for custom roadsters, but they didn't have enough locations for
relays and
were too expensive. My next trip to the junk yard will be for an early '80s VW
Rabbit.
I understand that the Diesel model has about 28 fuse locations and is set up
for 7 or 8
relays.  I don't know how the fuse box connects to the wiring harness though.
If it is a
connector or two, that would be great, but if I have to cut and splice the
individual wires
it seems that there should be a better choice.

Please let me know what you find.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885