Re: Brake squeek from hell

To: PLETCH5@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake squeek from hell
From: CarterCM@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:29:25 EDT
Many of us in SoCalROC have been or are still experiencing the same problem.
It's a hellish squeal all right...I've had people in crosswalks cover their
ears as I approach a stop!

No one seems to know the exact cause because it happens with all combinations
of new and just-turned rotors, new calipers, as well as with new stock and
"metal" pads (my whole system was new). Don't know why this is such a problem
now...it never happened when I was driving my car in the 70's & 80's. I
wonder if the steel braided lines contribute to the problem?

Anyway, I was finally able to eliminate 95% of it with CRC spray-on
anti-squeal but the application is important. The first time I tried it it
did not work at all...but when I pulled out the pads again, I found that much
of the goo had been scraped off when I inserted them.

So here's what I did...clean back of pads well with BrakeClean and a
toothbrush, so goo will stick. Let dry thoroughly. Spray on MULTIPLE thinnish
coats until there is a build up of 1/16" or more. Allow to fully dry (longer
than it says to on can). Slowly reinsert pads being careful not to scrape off
any goo. Worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Craig Carter
Fountain Valley, CA