worn servo synchros

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: worn servo synchros
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:43:46 -0700
So, Kyle,
    A true servo doesn't have any teeth- if your synchros are brass
colored with teeth, you have Borg style synchros.  They're worn when the
synchro teeth get within some dimension of the gear itself..
    But if you're servo, then the actual synchros are the c- shaped,
cast- iron looking doo-ha's buried inside the gear cluster.  In my
experience, wear shows up at the ends of the 'c' as either galling OR
smoothing! <go figure>  The other indicator is their outside dimension-
as they are used, they get compressed somewhat...
    The one servo tranny I actually bought new parts for got 1 new
synchro (on 2nd, of course) and I then swapped synchros around (1st and
3rd) and also reversed them- they're symmetrical- for a free 'freshen'.
When I was done, the tranny shifted like new- read, it was a bit tight,
and a bit notchy.  After 2000 miles, everything settled in, and to this
day I can't tell that 2 got a new synchro and 1 and 3 didn't...
    I remember that in '92 ONE new synchro was about $65- the Porsche
part it copied is about $40 today, but no, it won't fit- the Datsun part
is a LOT thicker and stronger...
What I remember...
Toby B