re-assembly

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: re-assembly
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:00:58 +0000
I took the head off my U20 to track down a knock.  It
turned out to be a rod bearing.  I hung the chain on
the "hook of death" while the head was off.  I also
rotated the crank a few times while removing the
pistons.  I painted the link on the chain that matched
the guide screw on the cam gear.  Here is my question.

1.    Is it possible for the upper chain to skip a tooth
on the jackshaft gear when I rotate the crank?

I don't want to take the timing cover off if I don't
have to.

2.      Can the cam timing be set without taking off
the   timing cover?

I was thinking about bringing it to TDC and then
eyeballing the cam.

3.    Guide screw at 3:00 right?

I loosened the cam to allow the valves to shut while I
was polishing the combustion chambers.  The cam
rotated.

4.   Can it be tightened back down in the TDC alignment
or is it going to turn as I crank it down?

One last thing.  The crank pulley has separated and is
rubbing the pointer.

5.    Is it possible for the timing marks to get askew
in relation to the crank?
Thanks for your help,

Andy Cost
SPL311-18316(U20)