Re: Firestone Tires / Roadster

To: andycost@att.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Firestone Tires / Roadster
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:55:18 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/00 2:04:38 PM !!!First Boot!!!, andycost@att.net
writes:

<< I autocrossed an MR2 for several years.  At one point I
 didn't have R1's so I used my Dunlop(dontstop)D60's.
 The sidewall rolled very badly.  One of the good things I noticed from the
 softer sidewall tires is increased warning before breakaway.  Unfortunately,
they broke away much sooner  than stickies.  I guess that is why bias ply
racing
 tires are so popular.  They give better feel of what is about to happen. >>

Funny thing is that I used the same tires on my 2000 the first time on the
track.  I thought the Dunlops were terrible as they broke traction very
easily but at the same time they were very predictable.

I then went to a set of BFG R1's and they stuck like glue.  It was amazing.
But when they broke traction it was quite violent and you really needed to be
ready for it.  I wasn't and I ended up off of the track at 65 plus in Turn 2
at Thunderhill Raceway.  If you remember my old story I broke a steering box,
a Libra wheel, brake drum and ripped out the hangers for my exhaust system.

Two different tires.  Two different personalities.  I thought the Dunlops
were fantastic for learning on.  The Roadster never did chop up the tires.
After two track days the tires looked no different then when I started.  I
now run on a set of the Yokohama A023 R's and they are also wonderful.  They
break alittle better then the R1's but I still have to watch out at the limit.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=41965&Auth=False

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
BADROC