Car won't shut off!! (looong)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Car won't shut off!! (looong)
From: Nathen Ruffcorn <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:44:49 -0400 (EDT)
Hey all!

I spent the day finishing up some of the details of my restoration.  Now
that I'm somewhat legal, I've taken the roadster for several test spins.
Most everything is working great!  I was not prepared for the stares you
receive driving a roadster that is ALMOST completed.  I have been unwilling
to do too much driving as it is still waiting for one piece from the chrome
shop to install the windshield.

This afternoon I finally got around to wiring the alternater.  It's a GM one
wire (also has a plug for a sensing wire and lamp wire).  After getting
everything wired, I was excited to finally see the ammeter gauge jump over
to the right side, showing that it was charging.  Went to shut off the key,
motor kept running-flipped the master disconnect switch, motor kept
running???!!! ;-)

The "sensing" wire on the alt recieves power from the black/white wire that
runs through the ignition switch (thought this was correct??).  When this
connection is "open" the circuit is interupted and the engine shuts off
(with key shut off).  It seems obvious power is being fed through the
switch, not allowing the switch to cut power to the ignition.

I KNOW this is long for a Friday night but does anyone have any thoughts.  I
don't want to continue to risk my  life by pulling off the coil wire to stop
the engine!  My immediate thought is to install a small relay to cut power
to the sensing wire when the switch is powered down, but there has to be a
more correct way.

If you read this far-THANK-YOU!!  Have a great weekend!

Nathan