Re: Sparkplug wire question...

To: Ken Pearce <kpearce@engr.ukans.edu>
Subject: Re: Sparkplug wire question...
From: T and E Corcoran <corcoran@bainbridgeisland.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 10:18:43 -0700
Ken,
I'll take a stab at this with my 2 cents worth.... It is all about trade
offs.

-resistance will let your points last longer. good thing

-resistance will reduce the spark plug energy. after a point, not such a
good thing

-resistance and reduced plug voltage may make starting a bit harder. bad
thing, hence the switch out out the coil ballast resistor during engine
cranking on later cars.

-resistance will broaden the range of frequencies in which the ignition
circuit will develop a resonant rise in secondary voltage. perhaps a
good thing for wider rpm ranges.

-resistance in plugs or wires is supposed to aid in reducing noise
picked up by radios. good thing

I don't know if 1600's and 2000's had resistive wires or plugs stock
from the factory but I don't think it would be good to use both
resistive plugs and wires.

regards,
Tim C
2 point burning 1500 Fairlady's