Mystery tool kit

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mystery tool kit
From: Robert Porter <drrebob@usnetway.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 17:56:10 -0400
Roadsterites:

Some months ago I asked if anyone on the list could identify a mystery tool
kit I found in the trunk of my 70 1600.  It was a black cloth bag with
"Nissan Motor Company" along the bottom.  Inside was a cheap spark plug
socket, and a nine foot length of what seemed to be seat belt webbing,
looped at both ends, together with four steel hooks designed to slide over
the webbing.  I got several responses, all funny but none sensible.  Last
week, on the way back from the Glen, we stopped at an old car show in
Wellsboro PA, where the two Roadsters were the only non-American cars.  The
owner of the other Roadster enlightened me right away.  Without hesitating,
Charlie Klump, a fine Datsun mechanic from way back, said, "It's a tow
strap."  Sure enough, those hooks slide right into some nooks and crannies
in the front frame cross member.  Don't know where they might fit onto the
presumed tow car.

So there.  Those of you who want to show a truly complete, original trunk
had better get with it, as this appears to be the genuine article.  I'll
start with open bidding, but may have to resort to eBay to get full value is
this rare item.  Now what does it say about the manufacturer's confidence in
their product when their tool kit implies a complete breakdown? (Or could
this have been purloined from another Nissan model, like maybe a Z?)

On second thought, I did a lot of mechanical work on this bucket myself.
Maybe I better keep it.

Bob Porter
Harrisburg PA