Halon trivia...

To: list roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Halon trivia...
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:36:36 -0700 (PDT)
>noji wrote
>>The extinguisher that I had is a old Halon unit. ...
>>Is this a CFC and thus bad for the ozone?

Mon, 25 Sep 2000  Marc T. replied:
>That, and Halon is so effective at displacing oxygen that it can
>cause the user to loose conciousness if used in a closed space.

   OOohhh I beg to disagree w/ Marc, based on experience.. Well,
wait. I dunno what kinda Halon goes into fire extinguishers, so maybe
I DON'T know what I'm talking about... But I WAS in a computer room
when an O-ring exploded off of a 3000 psi Halon 130? (1302 I think)
bottle valve. I was standing about 3' away at the time.. It blew me
across the aisle, slammed me up against a rail, 'burned' my skin
(freeze burn), and the EMT said the 'thrill' was a bit hard on my
blood pressure..  But nope, I didn't lose conciousness. Quite the
opposite as I recall... :)

Roadster content: it's been about 2 weeks downtime w/ clutch woes. I
put a new clutch in, engine's back in.. hope to have it running in a
day or 2.. Man, am I going thru withdrawals, even if it did snow the
other day..

Dan Neff    '69 2000
Colorado Springs, Co
www.wycroc.org