Re: Engine Tuning Device O2 sensors. Long.

To: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Tuning Device O2 sensors. Long.
From: "Adam Fox" <foxy@pipeline.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:48:54 +1000
There are a few different O2 sensors available. The most basic is the single
wire narrowband, its non heated. Then you have the three wire narrowband,
which has a heater element to bring the sensor up to operating temp quicker.
Then you have the wide range(read expensive) sensors, which give you a very
accurate AFR reading over a wide range. Normal sensors found in most EFI
vehicles are narrowband, they are accurate around the 14.7:1 air fuel ratio,
which is the ideal mixture for catalitic converters to operate(best power is
made around 13:1 and for lean crusing you can go to 15:1 and up depending on
the engine).  The narrowband sensors become somewhat innaccurate either side
of this 14.7:1 figure, however can still be used as an effective tuning
device. You can just hook a digital multimeter up to one and read off the
voltages, around .5 to 1v. Or as many do, build a simple circuit to give a
graphical readout using LEDs.
The sensors arent a thermocouple, they output a voltage in relation to the
amount of oxygen left in the exhaust gas.
Most sensors dont like leaded fuel, so you need to replace them after a
certain amount of exposure to it, youll get many hours out of one before its
contaminated tho, enough to tune a car, after which it will get "lazy". They
can be cleaned and tested using a small butane blow torch, after about 20
seconds of heating the output voltage will go up to about .9v on a healthy
sensor.
A kit has just been developed by an electronics magazine in Australia to
read the wide band sensors, it uses an expensive bosch sensor and gives a
numerical readout of the AFR. Go to
http://203.41.157.5/jaycar/FMPro?-db=products.fp3&-format=detail.htm&-lay=cg
i&-sortfield=model%20%23&Category=KITS%20-%20AUTOMOTIVE&-recid=46837&-token=
12590328&-find=
to see it. It would probly cost you US guys about $2 delivered with the
current exchange rate ;-)
Another, supposedly better kit will be released next year by
www.autospeed.com

If anyone needs anymore info on these things feel free to ask.....

Adam Fox