Domes 1500 Pistons

Subject: Domes 1500 Pistons
From: "Charles Hubbard" <cehubbard@home.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:28:28 -0500
Has anyone every attempted to machine a domed piston into a flat top?  I've
put domes pistons on my 1500 because they were all that I could locate. Now
the piston hits the head when I set it on the block without the gasket.
Using the old metal gasket, it does not appear to lift but it's very close.

Looks like the head is going to require significant modifications to work.
I'm afraid that I will screw up the combustion chamber efficiency if I have
the head ground to fit the piston. Not to mention the problem with possibly
hitting a water jacket. I had my head rebuilt with new guides, hardened
seats and triple angle cut valves. If there is enough material on the
pistons, I thought that the machine shop could turn them into flat heads.

Any ideas?

Charlie

Charles Hubbard
1964 SPL310 (1500)