Re: [Fwd: 1967 SPLU Overheating Problem] boundary="------------C42862

To: "Greg Glass" <gglass@e-bci.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: 1967 SPLU Overheating Problem] boundary="------------C42862C3301796508789BE60"
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:19:12 -0500
> I have this problem...After I got my 3-row radiator put in, I was still
> running hot.
> The guy at the radiator shop had this cool Stanley laser or infrared
> temperature gauge that reads the water temperature in the motor just by
> aiming this light at the pipe or hose...my gauge was reading 250 but the
> Stanley tool was reading 210....this was after 20 minutes at idle in the 100
> degree sun this summer.
>
> The PO put in a new guage, but perhaps he left the old sensor in...the shop
> thought that maybe the sensor didn't match the gauge. Could this be it?
Does your fuel gauge read correctly?   It can be checked with a volt meter.
There are 2 wires on the regulator, one goes to the ignition switch will
will have about 13 Volts on it all the time.  The other wire goes to the
temperature gauge and fuel gauge.  The voltage on that wire will pulse
on and off about once every second or so.  The regulator also must be
making a solid electrical connection to the body. I suspect that the voltage
on the gauge side is staying the same as the input side and not pulsing.
If that is the case the regulator is stuck.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

> I plan on getting a new guage and sensor soon...I am told that I should dump
> the electrical one I have and get a mechancial one...
The dealer sells the sender for between $20 and $30.  I picked mine
up from a foreign auto parts store for about $10.  The brand was WAWD.

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885