Re: Brake Line Fabrication From "Brian St. Jacques"

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Line Fabrication From "Brian St. Jacques"
From: skippers@mail.clipper.net
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:56:03 -0700
Jeez
        I usually don't say anything, but this is dangerous stuff. Brake lines
are
made out of stainless steel or at least steel and the connection ends are
double flared. You can't make these ends with common tools.
        A metal brake line should be strong enough not to flex under high
pressures and the end flares must be free of microscopic cracks. If either
of those requirements are violated you will experience catastrophic failure
under braking pressures.
        Forming double flares on stainless steel is, at least, a roll-forming
operation. Single flaring tools simply stretch malleable metal over a mandrel.
        Copper lines? C'mon. Single flared? Use them to go directly to your
local
auto parts store. While your there, stock up on generic brake parts or,
like in the case of front caliper lines, call someone who makes and bends
brake-lines-to-order and use the money you saved from dropping your X-treme
life insurance to pay for them.

Ken Spurling
68 1.6